- Seismic Shears and Overturning Moments in Buildings.
- Smilowitz, R.; Newmark, N. M.
National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. Research Applied to National Needs.,
- Identifying Number(s)
- ['STRUCTURAL RESEARCH SER-441', 'UILU-ENG-77-2011']
- Seismic force distributions for simplified computation of shears and over-turning moment for preliminary design of buildings have been generated. A parameter study of the significant variables has been made to determine the applicability of the proposed distributions. These distributions are intended to give greater accuracy than do existing procedures. The parameters studied involve the type of building, whether shear wall or shear beam or a combination of the two, the uniformity of the structure along its height, the spacing of the lower modal frequencies, the fundamental frequency relative to the intersection of the constant velocity and constant acceleration branches of the response spectrum, the slenderness of the structure, and the shear wave velocity of the soil on which it is founded. The distributions should be applicable to the majority of structures of either frame, shear wall or combination of the two lateral resisting structural systems. The results of the study along with the explanation of the methods by which they were obtained are presented. Tabular and graphic material are included.
- Seismic design; Earthquake resistant structures; Skyscrapers; Seismic waves; Earth movements; Shear properties; Ground motion; Earthquake engineering; Buildings; Theses; Soil structure interactions; Soil mechanics; Earthquakes; Dynamic structural analysis